Thursday, January 17, 2013

Open Heart

"
"Elie Wiesel was fifteen years old when he was deported to Auschwitz. After the war he became a journalist and writer in Paris, and since then has written more than fifty books, both fiction and nonfiction. His masterwork, Night, was a major best seller when it was republished recently in a new English translation. Wiesel has been awarded the United States Congressional Gold Medal, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the French Legion of Honor’s Grand Cross, an honorary knighthood of the British Empire and, in 1986, the Nobel Peace Prize. Since 1976 he has been the Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities at Boston University. "

A really short book I was able to read waiting for my eye doctor, Dr. Yu, who really is worth the wait.  I always tell him to slow down just a little bit, the work will still be there.  I picked up the book at my library .  Elie Wiesel is 82 and writes this book about his surgery and his thoughts during that time about his family and his life's journey.  It is very interesting.  Most everyone has read "Night", have you?

A beautiful sunny day in Michigan, quite cold but somehow it isn't so bad when the sun shines and the sky is blue.  We are thankful that Jeff now has his bionic shoulder and was able to go home today!  Joy and Rosie, the golden girls, went home too and I will miss them even though they take up most of my living room space.  Happy Thursday all.

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good news about Jeff. Even though you have more room without those golden girls i imagine you will be missing them. Just a quiet gray day here.

Chatty Crone said...

I have not read that book - but it does look interesting! Hope your eye exam went well.

kath001 said...

I read it awhile back and thought it was amazing.