Monday, September 5, 2011

Hot Peppers

I picked up these plants at Bob's Market in Southgate, not knowing anything about them except they had a clever name.

They have done really well and when we went to Springfield I took some to Mark who likes hot peppers, still hadn't tried them then. When I finally had the courage to try them I was sorry I had shared them because they were way beyond hot.

Then, I looked them up and they are one of the hottest peppers grown. There is a measurement for the capsaicin in a chili pepper, named after the pharmacist who created it, it is called Scoville Units.

The Scoville Units in a Jalepeno are 2500-8000. But in these little guys it is 100,000-350,000. Sorry Mark. I was able to use them though, I made some Cowboy Candy for myself and Lisa. If you want to make some go here. If you don't know her, you will really like Pickles and Cheese. She has some really goood recipes.

I hope your holiday is going well. It is so cool and breezy here, I was able to open the door for the first time this summer.

4 comments:

Buttercup said...

I've had some pepper disasters in Thailand and am now so careful. Stopped by from Ma's sweet blog.

Linda said...

We opened OUR doors here in TEXAS!! It will be nice here (in the 80's!) for about 5 glorious days! Then back to 99 degrees but anything under 100 is good!

Thanks for the link....I went over and checked it out! Wonderful!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

OOOO EEEEE....that sounds some kind of HOT! No thank you please! Really - the first time you could open your doors - in Michigan?? Wow....It's turning on the heat season here already.....I thought we were a little bit alike climate-wise.... Hope you had a happy holiday....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hot peppers like that are pretty to look at. It sounds like just a little goes a long long way too. Hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!