Thursday, January 12, 2017

You might like...a Thai Cucumber Salad (and some books).

No picture to go with the salad but I just got back from the library so that's  the picture of the day.  Kathleen recommended The Widow's War.  I just finished The Graveyard Apartment, one of those you just can't put down until the end and you want to throw the book across the room when it is 1 am.

So the salad:  for Lisa, who likes it.

One large English cucumber (that's the long one that is wrapped in plastic.  I had to ask.)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 or three scallions thinly sliced (I used green onions)

Dressing is 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
heaping tablespoon of Swerve
l T. water
1 T. toasted sesame oil
1/2 t. of salt
l oz. crushed peanuts (didn't have so I used 1 T. sesame seeds)
some crushed red pepper

I didn't peel the cucumber, just cut it into rounds, add all the ingredients and stir to dissolve the sweetener.  I should be sweet, sour, and salty.  I combined the two right away and refrigerated .

If you want to, check out the original recipe on www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-thai-cucumber-salad-paleo as I sometimes don't follow directions, example, leaving out the fish sauce etc.

Hope today has been good to you!

5 comments:

Ann Thompson said...

The cucumber salad sounds good. It works with my diet too

Prims By The Water said...

Sounds like a really good salad. Will need to try. Not much of a book reader lately...just trying to finish up some past Valentine stuff I started from last year. Stay warm my friend and don't go out in this ice if you don't have to. Janice

kath001 said...

I hope you like The Widow's War.

I am definitely trying the salad! I love Thai. :)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a surprising twist on the sweet and salty. I do love cucumbers ! Enjoy your books. I've done little reading lately compared to what I usually do. Hope you have a fantastic Friday. Colder but no snow or rain here!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Cucumber salad sounds good. I need to catch up on my book reading. Your books sounds very interesting!