Sunday, July 5, 2020

Growing tomatoes...

I never have a ripe tomato by fourth of July, I know that is a competition among some gardeners.
Instead I am playing with mine, diligently hunting out suckers so I can train my tomatoes up a string, a method recommended by Karen, The Art of Doing Stuff. 

If you have read her posts you will know she is a hoot, so even if you can't do stuff that she writes about, (or have no desire to) you will enjoy  her posts.

Another gardener I miss so much is Dad's Tomato Garden.  Some of you will remember him,  I know Ma will.  I always think of him when I look at my tomatoes.  Happy Sunday and let me know if you have a ripe tomato.

9 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh yes, I do remember and miss Dad and his tomato garden! He really had a lot of tomatoes and delighted us with his tales. Hope you get a ripe one soon. No one here has any ripe ones yet either.

Susie said...

I love that some people just have knack of growing things. I would dearly love to eat a fresh tomato. Blessings to you Peggy. Hope your tomatoes are ready soon. xoxo, Susie

Ann said...

That sounds like what my dad used to do to his tomatoes.

Prims By The Water said...

Our tomatoes are still green. Hope you had a great 4th! Janice

Buttercup said...

I'd love a garden, but it's all vicarious with me. Love to see other people's gardens.

Linda said...

We have red ripe tomatoes here in Texas!!
Hope you get a really good harvest with yours!
I am going to go visit the blog you mentioned.

Chatty Crone said...

I honestly don't know much about tomatoes and growing.
Yours looks pretty good to me - who cares really about when as long as you get some nice ones.
I love tomatoes.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I am not a tomato girl (not fresh, at least...but miss having a mittful to can for sauce for chili and soup)... My husband used to like them, so I always grew at least one plant in a pot....and another for the little grape tomatoes that my mom liked...but haven't bothered the last few years as my husband seems to have lost his taste for them too and my mom is in AL and no visitors allowed. funny, though, I never heard of the "ripe tomato before the Fourth" challenge...here, in these parts, it's a challenge to have corn "knee high by the Fourth of July" LOL.... Ain't happening either this year. ~Robin~

peggy said...

I love it that I got so many comments from y'all. What a nice bunch you are! I checked this morning and one is turning...woo hoo.